Investment to enhance Portsmouth’s athletic and cycle track at Mountbatten Leisure Centre are scheduled to begin next week (17 September).
Essential maintenance, cleaning, painting and repairs will enhance the overall experience for the thousands of athletes, schools and clubs who regularly train and compete there. It will also extend the lifespan of the tracks.
The project has been commissioned by Portsmouth City Council in conjunction with BH Live, the social enterprise, which operates seven of the city’s sports venues and leisure centres.
The works are estimated to take up to seven weeks to complete and the tracks will be temporarily closed during this time. BH Live has advised the clubs and schools who regularly use the facility.
Cllr Steve Pitt, Cabinet Member for Culture Leisure and Sport at Portsmouth City Council said:
“It’s important we continue to invest in our sporting facilities and make sure they are well maintained for people to enjoy. Carrying out the necessary improvements at this time of year minimises impact on events and training and we look forward to welcoming people back to the renewed facilities once the works have completed.”
For more information about activities at Mountbatten Leisure Centre visit bhliveactive.org.uk or telephone on 02393 200401.
Notes to Editors:
For more information about BH Live please contact: Elizabeth Symmons E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: (01202) 055562
About BH Live
BH Live is the south coast’s leading operator of leisure and event venues; a social enterprise that designs and builds engaging experiences to inspire people and enrich lives.
With 3.4 million visits a year and over £39 million turnover, the organisation is changing lives – placing it at the heart of the UK’s growing social economy.
In 2016/17 BH Live hosted more than 500 events, sold over half a million cultural, sporting and entertainment tickets. They had 2.9 million activity attendances in its leisure centres and welcomed 100,000 conference and exhibition delegates into its venues. This contributed an estimated £44 million to the local economy through business and cultural tourism. For more visit bhlive.org.uk
Get social with us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter @BHLIVE_UK
In Portsmouth BH Live operates the following venues in partnership with Portsmouth City Council:
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre – Portsmouth’s flagship leisure and event venue with a national-class 50m swimming pool, 150 station gym, 8 court sports hall, squash, spin and dance studios, a cycle velodrome, athletics track, function suites, and an onsite café
- Pyramids – one of Portsmouth’s leading entertainment and leisure complexes with views of Southsea beach and the Solent. It has fun pools, flumes, waves and a three-level soft play adventure world. There is also a multipurpose gym, more than 60 weekly fitness classes and a spa. Regular live music performances, conferences, exhibitions and private events are hosted in the venue
- Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre – consists of a state-of-the-art gymnastics hall, physiotherapy room and meeting room
- Portsmouth Tennis Centre – A 10 court tennis facility in the north of Portsmouth (just off the M275) consisting of 4 indoor courts and 6 floodlit outdoor courts. A comprehensive tennis coaching programme caters for all ages and abilities and is the hub of disability tennis in the area. The programme runs sessions for tots, juniors, adults and also includes variations of the sport such as cardio tennis and touch tennis
- Eastney Swimming Pool – 20m swimming pool and a spectators’ area
- Wimbledon Park Sports Centre – 20 station gym, 5 badminton courts, basketball court and sports hall
- Charter Community Sports Centre – 20m swimming pool, 20 station gym, sports hall and an outdoor multi-use games area