To inspire more people of all ages and abilities to be more active, Mountbatten Leisure Centre, Portsmouth’s flagship sport and event venue, is getting better public health and wellbeing facilities.
Supporting an ambition to create a more active city and a healthier community, Mountbatten’s gym is being transformed to offer a wider range of activities and inspire more people into participation.
Customers can expect new functional fitness areas, strength, conditioning, sled and sprint tracks, a larger lifting zone with more free weights and equipment. Recently increasing in popularity, the team will be promoting lifting technique classes for beginners and support those seeking to master weight lifting.
Myzone, one of the most accurate heart-rate wearables on the market, will enable customers to track and monitor their effort, see their real-time training sessions on screen, review post-workout analysis and be encouraged to progress to the next level of training.
To inspire more people to enjoy the benefits of cycling, a dedicated training zone with virtual spin and Wattbikes will be created alongside an area for stretch and band activities.
BH Live will also be expanding its own brand of gym-based group exercise classes, Power, Primal, Play and Pulse.
Access into the gym will be enhanced with a new information point and reception.
Specialist flooring, AV, improved lighting and decoration will create a lighter, brighter environment and improve the overall ambience.
New flooring in the changing rooms will also be carried out as part of the scheme.
“Mountbatten has some of the UK’s finest sporting and event facilities and we think they should be enjoyed by as many local people as possible, says Peter Gunn, BH Live’s Chief Executive.
“These latest improvements will make sure its health and wellbeing facilities have broad appeal and meet the growing appetite for functional fitness and strength training which can be enjoyed by everyone to support everyday movement and physical development.”
BH Live is carrying out the improvements in partnership with Portsmouth City Council as part of a 10-year investment plan into the city’s sport and event venues.
Scheduled to start in the coming weeks and complete in the summer, the improvements are being carried out in phases to minimise disruption. The venue will remain open throughout.
Regular updates will be posted in the venue, on bhliveactive.org.uk and Mountbatten’s Facebook page.
Notes to Editors:
The gym at Mountbatten is approx. 700sqm
For more information about BH Live please contact:
Elizabeth Symmons, PR & Corporate Communications Executive
T: (01202) 055562
About BH Live
BH Live is the south coast’s leading operator of leisure and event venues; a social enterprise that designs and builds engaging experiences to inspire people and enrich lives.
With 3.4 million visits a year and over £39 million turnover we are changing lives and are at the heart of the UK’s growing social economy.
In 2016/17 we had 2.9 million leisure centre attendances, hosted more than 500 events and sold over half a million cultural, sporting and entertainment event tickets. We also welcomed 100,000 conference and exhibition delegates into our venues. This contributed an estimated £44 million to the local economy through business and cultural tourism.
For more visit bhlive.org.uk
Get social with us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter @BHLIVE_UK
BH Live operates the following venues in partnership with Portsmouth City Council:
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre – Portsmouth’s flagship leisure and event venue with a national-class 50m swimming pool, 150 station gym, eight court sports hall, squash, spin and dance studios, a cycle velodrome, athletics track, function suites with bars and café.
- Pyramids Centre – one of Portsmouth’s leading entertainment and leisure venues overlooking Southsea beach and the Solent. It has fun pools, flumes, a wave machine and a three-level soft play adventure world. There is also a multipurpose gym, 60+ weekly fitness classes and a spa. It also hosts regular live music events, conferences, exhibitions.
- Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre – state-of-the-art gymnastics hall, physiotherapy room and meeting room.
- Portsmouth Tennis Centre – A 10 court tennis facility in the north of Portsmouth consisting of four indoor courts and six floodlit outdoor courts. A comprehensive tennis coaching programme caters for all ages and abilities and is the area’s hub of accessible tennis. The programme runs sessions for tots, juniors, adults and also includes variations of the sport such as cardio tennis and touch tennis.
- Eastney Swimming Pool – 20m swimming pool and a spectators’ area.
- Wimbledon Park Sports Centre – 20 station gym, five badminton courts, basketball court and sports hall.
- Charter Community Sports Centre – 20m swimming pool, 20 station gym, sports hall and an outdoor multi-use games area.