Brand new facilities, to get more people enjoying the health and wellbeing benefits of being active, are on track to open at Southsea’s Pyramids Centre on Tuesday 4 January 2022.
The size of the centre’s gym has significantly increased. It has state-of-the-art Technogym fitness equipment, functional fitness, strength and cardio zones. A dedicated spacious area for health assessments, and those new to exercise, is a brand-new feature and particularly important getting more people active.
In addition to the gym, there are new changing rooms and three activity studios for Group Cycling classes, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and private hire.
Activities can be personalised and tracked using app technology. Customers who use health apps such as myzone and mywellness will be able to track their activity and sync with the equipment to monitor performance. The gym team will also be running dedicated gym floor classes to encourage friendly competition and have some fun.
Rob Cunningham, BH Live’s Head of Leisure explains more. He says,
“This facility will be accessible to all. A dedicated health and wellness assessment area and exercise zone will appeal to people who are new to exercise, need extra support, or are living with a long-term health condition and need guidance. More frequent and confident gym users, who are motivated by fitness tracking, group sessions and activity data, will get a buzz from the extensive range of Technogym equipment and classes in the new HIIT and Group Cycle studios.
“Looking after our own health, and taking part in regular physical activity, has never been more important. Our ambition is to help more people realise their potential, feel supported and experience the health benefits of being regularly active. Making these public facilities as accessible, appealing and open to all has been our main focus and we can’t wait to open the doors.”
“While we encourage customers to walk, cycle or use public transport to get to the centre, customers using the new gym and studio facilities from January 2022 will also be able to benefit from 90 minutes free parking – which we know will be welcome news to our customers.”
The new space is bright and welcoming. It has been decorated using natural stone effect, with wood and specialist flooring. Sustainable special effects LED lighting creates an ambience to motivate and inspire.
Pyramids is managed by social enterprise operator BH Live in partnership with Portsmouth City Council. The new gym and fitness facilities form part of a major overhaul of the centre. Earlier this year, Exploria, a new play and bounce attraction opened at Pyramids. Exploria has welcomed more than 30,000 visitors in its first few months opening.
Cllr Ben Dowling, Cabinet Member for Culture, Leisure & Economic Development said,
“I’m delighted that the redevelopment and expansion of the already successful gym facility at the Pyramids will be opening in the new year. I am particularly pleased that it has been designed to be more accessible to all and aims to encourage those new to fitness. I hope the transformation of the gym and the new Exploria will encourage more residents and visitors of all ages to use the Pyramids to get active and have fun, and help to secure its future for a few more years.”
The gym and Group Cycle classes are included in BH Live Active’s multisite membership and on a pay as you go basis.
As part of the BH Live Active membership, customers can also access facilities including swimming, gym and classes at Mountbatten and Charter Community Sports Centre.
Customers can also access 1,500+ online classes and live streamed activities through BH Live Active at Home.
Access to classes in the new HIIT studio at Pyramids will be available on a PAYG basis or as part of a new BH Live Active HIIT membership. More information about this is available from the team in centre.
To find out more about BH Live Active, membership or pay as you go options either:
- Visit the centres and speak with a member of the team
- Telephone Pyramids on 023 9320 0330
- Go online at bhliveactive.org.uk
- Download the BH Live Active app.
Notes to Editors:
Take a fly through the new facilities coming to Pyamids, Southsea – watch on YouTube
For more information about BH Live please contact:
Elizabeth Symmons, PR, Communications and Marketing Manager E: email@example.com T: (01202) 055562
About BH Live
BH Live is a leading operator of leisure and event venues; a social enterprise that designs and builds engaging experiences to inspire people and enrich lives.
Our social objectives are to:
- Encourage more people to take part in physical activity – by providing leisure facilities to encourage active communities and improve health and wellbeing.
- Attract bigger entertainment audiences – with a diverse range of cultural and artistic events that appeal to a wide variety of tastes.
- Deliver economic benefit – by hosting major conferences, exhibitions and events that benefit the local, regional and international economy.
For more visit bhlive.org.uk.
Get social with us:
LinkedIn and Twitter @BHLIVE_UK
BH Live operates the following venues in partnership with Portsmouth City Council:
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre – Portsmouth’s flagship leisure and event venue with swimming pools, a 150-station gym, eight-court sports hall, squash, spin and dance studios, a cycle velodrome, athletics track, function suites with bars, a café and soft play facility. It is also home to a Clip ‘N Climb leisure attraction which opened in 2018.
- Pyramids Centre – one of Portsmouth’s leading leisure venues. Overlooking Southsea beach and the Solent it has a gym and runs weekly group exercise classes. It is also home to Exploria, a themed play and bounce attraction (opened 2021).
- Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre – gymnastics hall with physiotherapy and meeting room.
- Portsmouth Tennis Centre – Situated in the north of Portsmouth consisting of four indoor courts and six floodlit outdoor courts. A comprehensive coaching programme caters for all ages and abilities. Sessions are available for tots, juniors, adults and also includes variations of the sport such as cardio tennis and touch tennis.
- Wimbledon Park Sports Centre – sports hall with badminton and basketball courts
- Charter Community Sports Centre – 20m swimming pool, 20 station gym, sports hall and an outdoor multi-use games area.