Updated Wednesday 12 August 2020
Welcome back – It’s Time To Get Moving
We believe, now more than ever, that being active, healthy and mindful are key to wellbeing and happiness. We have started to reopen centres and facilities on a phased approach plus we’ve temporarily introduced service changes to keep you (and us) safe. So while some of these changes may feel a bit restrictive, we ask our customers to work with us, support us and to play your part in helping us get back to normal service – we are here for you and we want everyone to be able to access great value facilities and help keep our centres safe, fun and friendly. These changes have been adopted by the whole leisure sector and reflect the necessary measures we have taken to enable our customers to keep active at this time. Please take a few minutes to read through this information below.
- We’ve increased and enhanced cleaning regimes throughout all of our centres
- We’ve introduced hygiene stations in all high-touch areas with hand sanitiser and medical grade disinfectant and sanitising wipes
- We’ve re-trained our staff on COVID-19 protection measures and are aware of the precautions that need to be taken to ensure our centre remains open and safe
- We’ve increased the signage throughout our centre to show routes around the centre and the areas that are current out of use
- We’ve temporarily closed changing rooms and showers and we ask all customers to change/shower at home
- We’ve moved gym equipment to enable improve social distancing and classes have been moved to larger studios and sports halls
- We’ve built into dedicated cleaning time between all session (gym and classes).
- Please DO NOT come to the centre if you are feeling unwell or have symptoms of COVID-19
- Please take responsibility for social distancing measures by adhering to the floor markings and avoid congregating with others before and after classes/sessions
- Please arrive on time for your session to reduce queue times
- Please ensure you wipe down all equipment before and after use using the sanitisation wipes provided
- Please leave all valuables at home and only bring your essentials – No cash payments will be taken
- Please bring your own (filled) water bottle
- Please bring your own mat for exercise classes
- Please be kind. Respect others and respect our staff who are working hard to ensure all the rules and regulations are followed that will allow us to remain open
- If you wish to wear a mask to train then please do, we will, however, not be enforcing the wearing of masks
- We would ask members NOT to wear disposable gloves whilst in the facility but to sanitise your hands before/after using each piece of equipment instead.
The following centres, services and areas will be open initially:
- Bournemouth & Poole – Littledown, Pelhams, Stokewood, Corfe Mullen
- Portsmouth – Mountbatten and Pyramids
- Gym – a session booking will be required
- Group exercise classes – a temporary timetable will be running
- Car park
The following services and areas will not be open initially:
- Swimming pools, sauna and spas
- Cafés and seated areas
- Changing rooms and showers
- Water fountains
- Soft play
- Indoor sports
You must pre-book all activities – session details and booking are available online and via our mobile app
- DO NOT come to the centre if you are feeling unwell or have symptoms of COVID-19
- Hand sanitiser is available at main reception and in key locations throughout the centre
- All available activities across all of our centres MUST be booked in advance. You will not be able to just walk in to the centre for your workout at this time.
- You must book your session online or via our BH Live Active mobile app up to 7 days in advance
- Please arrive ready for your session as change rooms and showers remain closed at this time
- Remember to bring your own water bottle as fountains are not available at this time
- You must collect your class ticket when arriving to the centre and present this when asked by your class instructor/member of staff
- Unless stated you may only participate in one activity per visit per day
- Arrive on time for your allotted session as late entrants will still be required to leave after their session and will not be permitted to stay longer. This will allow us time to clean the area before the next session and to allow as many people as possible to use the facility each day
- Toilets are available at all centres. Please do not use these areas for changing.
- We’ve re-trained our staff on all COVID-19 response measures to keep you safe
- We’ve temporarily closed change rooms, shower facilities and water fountains
- We’ve improved equipment spacing including marking areas to ensure social distancing
- We’ve removed ‘high-contact’ loose equipment such as straps, mats and ropes to simplify cleaning tasks and ensure your safety
- We’ve placed additional signage throughout our centres to help you safety queue, get to your activity and maintain social distancing at all times
- We’ve introduced a booking system for gym sessions to manage the number of customers training at any one time – please check the app for available sessions
- DO NOT come to the centre if you are feeling unwell or have symptoms of COVID-19
- You can help by, booking your session online up to 7 days in advance. Get ready to book by checking, or creating your account
- You can help by, arriving on time, dressed ready to train
- You can help by, bringing your own (filled) water bottle
- You can help by, maintaining social distancing throughout our centres
- You can help by, no spotting at this time
- You can help by, not moving equipment from designated areas
- You can help by, being patient if you need to queue for the gym – access gates will only allow entry for pre-booked / valid sessions
- You can help by, wiping down the equipment you use before and after use
- You can help by, leaving the gym as soon as your session ends or if you are asked to do so to enable us to clean and sanitise ready for the next session
- You can help by, sharing your positive feedback with us and others – if you are unhappy about any aspect of the service, please let us know and give us a chance to address any concerns – we need your support
- You can help by, keeping up to date with information via our website, app and social media channels about any changes we will make as we are able to open additional activities and services.
- When will the other leisure centres reopen? We are planning to reopen our other centres and facilities as soon as we can and will post regular updates here, on our social pages and mobile app.
- Why can’t I just turn up and go to the gym or a class? In our first phase of reopening our centres are operating at reduced capacity so we can comply with social distancing. We will be regularly reviewing our programme and session availability.
- What are the centre’s opening hours? Entry to the centre is by pre-booking only Check the centre’s webpages or app for session details.
- What should I expect the first time I return to the centre? The centre will look slightly different when you return, however we aim to keep our usual upbeat, friendly atmosphere. As you enter our centres you will see our COVID-19 signage and directional information to help you move around the centre. Communal areas such as the café and breakout areas will be closed and some of the equipment and machines in the gym will be laid out differently to ensure physical distancing. Studios will be marked with workout locations. Changing rooms and showers will be unavailable so customers will need to arrive ready for their workout. Sanitisation stations will be available and you will see our staff members cleaning regularly and helping remind people to carefully wipe down their equipment after use.
- How are you protecting members and staff? We have put a large amount of procedures in place to help protect both members and our teams. These include (but are not limited to) enhanced cleaning routines, sanitiser stations placed around the centre and adhering to social distancing guidelines. Our staff have received essential training in how to keep themselves and our customers safe.
- What hygiene etiquette should I be following? All customers are asked to maintain high levels of personal hygiene to keep both themselves and others safe. This includes:
- Washing and sanitising hands regularly
- Covering coughs and sneezes with tissues and disposing of them in a bin
- Maintaining a social distance with others
- Wiping down machines and equipment with wipes and sanitiser provided after every use – please do not bring and use your own gym/sweat towel
- Bring your own filled water bottle
- Bring your own exercise mat for studio classes
- Avoid any unnecessary contact with surfaces
- Do not congregate with others before and after classes
- Will I have to queue outside to get in? There may be a queue when you arrive, but we anticipate that we will be able to move people into the centre quickly. There will be no walk-ins available at the centre. Entry will only be permitted if you have pre-booked a session or activity.
- Will I have to wear a facemask when visiting? No – We are closely monitoring Government guidelines regarding facemasks. In the meantime the current guidance from the World Health Organisation is that people should not wear face masks to exercise as this may reduce the ability to breathe comfortably. Sweat can make the mask wet and promote the growth of microorganisms. Other preventative measures such as encouraging people to regularly wash their hands, sanitise equipment before and after use and maintain a social distance when exercising will be in place.
- How many people will there be in the centre at any time? In our first phase of reopening we are operating at reduced capacity so we can comply with social distancing. We have calculated the numbers we can admit into each centre at any one time. Customers will be able to book for one gym session or class per day – you will not initially be able to book multiple sessions per day. We hope to relax this as we move through our reopening phases.
- What if I’m not ready to return to the centre? We understand that some people may still be shielding or not be ready to return to public spaces just yet. They might also wish to wait for other facilities to open first, or see what measures we have put in place. We are more than happy to continue freezing your membership until you are happy to return. We contacted members about this already however if you have not received our communication, please contact us if this is something you’d like to do.
- How can I contact you to speak with someone? Many of our colleagues remain on furlough which means we have fewer colleagues to help and assist you at this time. We will not be able to open our phone lines initially and ask customers to make use of our website information, keep track of updates on social media and self manage bookings, changes and cancellations via the mobile app or booking pages on our website. If you have a question that isn’t covered here, please send us a message via our contact us form. Please bear with us – we will respond to everyone – but it may take a bit longer than usual.
- Can you pass COVID-19 via sweat/perspiration? No, there is no current evidence that the virus can be spread by perspiration (sweat). This is supported for non-respiratory fluids by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC); however, limited data is available on sweat/perspiration.
- Do gym environments create a higher risk of transmissions of COVID-19 than other indoor places like supermarkets? No, there is the same chance of getting COVID-19 in all areas indoors, the key is keeping social distancing in place, follow cleanliness guidelines and aerosol guidelines. We have introduced new cleaning and social distancing measures in all of our centres to ensure that our members can work out safely.
- Does physical activity increase resilience to COVID-19? WHO (World Health Organisation) recommend regular physical activity benefits both the body and mind. It can reduce high blood pressure, help manage weight and reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, and various cancers – all conditions that can increase susceptibility to COVID-19. Physical activity leads to improvements in immune health and metabolic health, both of which are linked to COVID risk. Furthermore, physical activity is central in weight management and positive changes in body composition, both of which are linked to COVID-19 risk.
- My membership has been frozen – will this be re-activated automatically? Customers who pay for membership by direct debit were contacted in July by our provider (Debit Finance Collection) with the option to either restart membership (first payment in August) or to continue freezing for up to three months (free of charge if requested by Friday 24 July). Please contact us via our web form and select the first option to make membership changes.
- What is happening with annual membership? Annual members have been contacted to advise that their membership will restart and the end date will be extended to reflect the period of closure. There was also an option to continue freezing membership for up to three months (free of charge if requested by Friday 24 July). Please contact us via our web form and select the first option to make membership changes.
- What is happening with swimming, gymnastics or tennis lessons? Our pools and other recreational facilities won’t be available during the first phase of reopening. Direct debits for lessons will remain frozen. We will be in touch when lessons and direct debits are due to restart.
- What if I want to cancel my membership? If you don’t want to return just yet, you may wish to consider freezing your membership instead. Please contact us via our web form and select the first option to make membership changes. If however you still wish to cancel and you have completed your contracted term please click here to cancel your membership. One month’s written notice will be required unless you are still within a contract then it will be the remaining term.
- I have a family membership but not everyone can start using the facilities again – what are my options? We can either continue to freeze your membership or amend it as required. Please contact us via our web form and select the first option to make membership changes.
- Is there going to be a discount to reflect the reduced facilities and services? We are reopening our centres and facilities on a phased basis. If you don’t want to return just yet, you can continue freezing your membership for up to three months (free of charge if requested by Friday 24 July). Please contact us via our web form and select the first option to make membership changes.
Gym and classes
- Do I need to book to use the gym or attend a class? Yes, you need to book to use gym and attend group exercise classes. Bookings can be made online or via the mobile app. Members can book up to 7 days in advance (non-members 5 days in advance).
- I am having trouble booking online – who can help me? See our ‘get ready to book’ guide and if you are still having trouble, please contact us via our web form and select the ‘help with class / gym bookings’ option.
- Is there a limit on how many sessions or classes I can book at one time? Because we have limited capacity during the first phase of reopening, you will only be able to book one activity per day/centre unless stated. This will be reviewed and updated as we establish demand over the first few weeks of reopening.
- When can I start booking onto classes and gym sessions? Classes and gym sessions are available to view and book online and via the mobile app. Members can book up to 7 days in advance (non-members 5 days in advance).
- Will class timetables be the same? Our class timetable has been updated is available for you to view online and via our mobile app. We have made changes to enable social distancing measures and the need for increased spacing between attendees. We will be regularly reviewing our class timetable.
- Are you still offering Personal Training? Yes, please contact your Personal Trainer directly or speak with a member of staff on the gym floor about this
- Will you still be running gym floor classes? Sorry not at this time. Our gym capacity is limited during our first phase of reopening. We are however running group exercise classes and details will be on our website and mobile app.
- Why are your changing rooms, lockers and showers not open? Our changing rooms and showers are closed for now. This to because we have limited capacity in our centres and our team need to clean facilities between sessions. You will need to arrive changed and ready to exercise and vacate the centre as soon as your session has completed.
- Are your toilets going to be open? Yes
- Why can’t we use water fountains? Our water fountains will not be available for use at this time. We encourage all customers to bring filled water bottles as they will not be able to fill them in centre. Limited vending will be available however facilities vary from centre to centre.
Swimming pools and spa
- When are your pools and spas reopening? As soon as we have details about the swimming pools and spas reopening, we will publish the details on our website.
- When are swimming lessons starting again? We will be in touch when swimming lessons are due to restart.
- When will the spa facilities be opening again? Due to the small spaces and limited centre capacity, these facilities remain closed for the moment. We will update our website as soon as they reopen.
Sports, events and other activities
- I have a block booking on the pitches – when will this restart? Our pitches will be reopened in phases. We will be contacting clubs and block bookings directly as soon as we are able and ready to resume sessions.
- I am part of a sports club, when will I be able to return? We will be contacting clubs and regular bookings directly once we are able to resume. They will advise you when your activities will be starting again.
- Is Altitude High Ropes opening this summer? Because Altitude is a close contact activity, it remains closed at this time.
- When the paddling pool in Littledown Park be reopening? As soon as we have details about the paddling pool reopening, we will publish the details on our website.
- I have an event booked at the centre – will this be going ahead? You will be contacted directly regarding your booking.
- Will your cafés be opening? Facilities at each centre vary. Generally, cafés will remain closed during our first phase of reopening. Vending will be available in some centres.
So if you have a question, please bear with us as we will respond to everyone – but it may take us a little longer than usual. We may not be able to open our phone lines initially and ask customers to make use of our website information, keep track of updates on social media and manage bookings, changes and cancellations via the mobile app or booking pages on our website.
Thank you for your understanding and we look forward to welcoming you back. #timetogetmoving