The Jersey has been signed by famous cyclists such as Dame Laura Kenny, Sir Bradley Wiggins and Sir Chris Hoy. Signatures have been collected by Portsmouth North End Cycling club member, Alan Collins, at major domestic and international cycling events over several years.
Portsmouth North End’s very own retired cyclist, Harry Jackson, has also signed the Jersey. He competed at the 1964 Summer Olympics and the 1968 Summer Olympics. He also won a bronze medal in the 4,000 metres individual pursuit at the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games.
The Jersey has been gifted to Mountbatten Leisure Centre, to inspire the next generation of cyclists, and encourage more cycling across the city.
BH Live, the charitable social enterprise that runs the leisure centre and cycling velodrome has been working closely with British cycling, local clubs and cycling charities and organisations to boost cycling and participation across Portsmouth.
Rob Cunningham, BH Live’s head of leisure said,
“We are honoured to display the Jersey of champions at Mountbatten. So much dedication, training and support goes into inspiring and nurturing champions and we are so proud to be showcasing some of the world’s best! We encourage everyone to come along to the centre to see the Jersey and ask the team about our cycling opportunities for all.”
Cllr Lynne Stagg, cabinet member for traffic and transport at Portsmouth City Council said:
“What an excellent display and a great way to continue the conversation about cycling in Portsmouth. Cycling is a great way to improve your mental wellbeing, reduce air pollution and stay active, and if you’re able to cycle I’d recommend you try out the range of excellent cycle routes we have in the city.”
Alan Collins, Track & CX Racing Secretary for Portsmouth North End and the person responsible for our Jersey of Champions explained,
“Portsmouth North End Cycling Club is proud to see the ‘Jersey of Champions’ displayed at the city’s cycling track. Local facilities and accessible competitions are vital for future champions.”
The unveiling is taking place at Mountbatten Leisure Centre on Wednesday 18 May at 5.30pm. As well as representatives from Portsmouth North End Cycling Club and BH Live, professional cyclist Jessica Finney will also be in attendance.
Notes to Editors:
The club jersey has been autographed by World, Olympic, European and National Champions in Road, TT, Track, CX, MTB and BMX Disciplines, and Grand Tour Winners.
For the full list go to https://www.pnecc.co.uk/index.php/pne-jersey-of-champions/
For more about BH Live please contact:
Elizabeth Symmons, PR, Communications and Marketing Manager E: email@example.com T: (01202) 055562
About BH Live
BH Live is a leading operator of leisure and event venues; a social enterprise that designs and builds engaging experiences to inspire people and enrich lives.
For more visit bhlive.org.uk.
Get social with us: LinkedIn, Twitter @BHLIVE_UK and Facebook @SocialEnterpriseBHLive
BH Live operates the following venues in partnership with Portsmouth City Council:
- Mountbatten Leisure Centre – Portsmouth’s flagship leisure and event venue with swimming pools, a 150-station gym, eight-court sports hall, squash, spin and dance studios, a cycle velodrome, athletics track, function suites with bars, a café and soft play facility.
It is also home to a Clip ‘N Climb leisure attraction which opened in 2018.
Get social with us: Twitter and Facebook @mountbattenlc
- Pyramids Centre – one of Portsmouth’s leading leisure venues overlooking Southsea beach and the Solent. It has state-of-the-art Technogym fitness equipment in a spacious gym with functional fitness, strength and cardio zones. There is a dedicated area for health assessments and people who are new to exercise, plus fitness tracking technology to help support people in reaching their activity goals.
Four activity studios provide a variety of daily exercise classes including Group Cycling, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), Yoga, Pilates and the Les Mills programme.
The centre is also home to Exploria, a themed play and bounce attraction which opened in 2021. A range of exciting experiences stimulate play and challenge children agreed from 6 months upwards. A bounce zone includes a diving tower with air bag, interactive games, themed slides agility parkour, battle beams and foam pits. The play zone includes ball pits, spider’s web and cargo climbing features, a rope bridge skywalk, bash bags, tunnels, rollers, beams and dodge ball shoot out. And the baby and toddler zone has all things Exploria, but downsized for little ones. There is also a range of interactive games, a dedicated sensory room, four themed party rooms and a café serving snacks, light bites and drinks.
For more visit bhliveactive.org.uk and exploria.org.uk
Get social with us: Twitter @PyramidsCentre
- Portsmouth Gymnastics Centre – gymnastics hall with physiotherapy and meeting room.
Get social with us: Facebook @PortsmouthGymnasticsCentre
- Portsmouth Tennis Centre – Situated in the north of Portsmouth consisting of four indoor courts and six floodlit outdoor courts. A comprehensive coaching programme caters for all ages and abilities. Sessions are available for tots, juniors, adults and also includes variations of the sport such as cardio tennis and touch tennis.
For more visit bhliveactive.org.uk.
Get social with us: Twitter @PortsTennis and Facebook @PortsmouthTC
- Wimbledon Park Sports Centre – sports hall with badminton and basketball courts
Get social with us: Facebook @WimbledonParkSportsCentre
- Charter Community Sports Centre – 20m swimming pool, 20 station gym, sports hall and an outdoor multi-use games area.
Get social with us: Facebook @CharterCommunitySC